After being tasked with developing a new “world music” curriculum for seniors at the Boston Arts Academy, I debuted the ethnomusicology unit at the school in late March. Since then, we've been having a grand time, including:
- a visit from renowned table player and Silk Road Project member Sandeep Das
- a taiko-esque drumming session with an assist from Brookline High School
- learning djembe with BAA teacher Ms. Angela Lou
- bachata and merengue with Ms. Tatiana Obeso
- a whole spate of creative student products, including an unexpected saga around Arab techno involving a group called Funky Pharaoh
Here's looking forward to another session next year!